OMHA Non-Resident Player Policy
Here is an overview of the OMHA Non Resident Player (NRP) Passport program.
- Player registers with their St Marys Minor Hockey (home centre)
- Player requests a Passport from their Home Centre if they wish to tryout for either AA or A hockey. Only one passport will be given to any one player. Only players at Peewee and above will be given a Passport.
- The Home Centre will determine the player’s closest centre for AA Hockey or for A hockey. This will be done by the use of Google Maps and by measuring the distance from the player’s residence to the AA Centre’s “centre point” or the A Centre’s “centre point”. A list of the centre points has been distributed to all centres. For most St Marys players, the closest AA centre is Stratford, and the closest A centre is New Hamburg.
- The Home Centre will pre-register the player in the HCR system as “NON-Resident Player Passport” in the group drop down box in the pre-registration section. The Home Centre retains the top copy of the Passport.
- The Home Centre will fill out the Passport
- Name of Player
- Date of Birth
- Home Centre Player is eligible to attend tryouts with (this will be either the AA centre or the A centre – not both) and Player will indicate to the Home Centre if he chooses AA or A. The Home Centre will enter either the closest AA centre or the closest A centre based upon the player’s choosing AA or A.
- Home Centre Authorizing Signature
- Print Title (of the authorizing signature)
- Date of authorizing signature
The rest of the Passport will be filled out by the AA or A centre and, if the player is successful in obtaining a position with the team to which they are trying out for, the AA or A Centre will upload the completed Passport in The Player’s Profile in the HCR System. If the player is unsuccessful in obtaining a position, he returns to the Home Centre.
It is also important to know that the AA or A team is allowed to only accept 3 NRP players.
Players can try out at AAA but this is not mandatory. Players can tryout at AA OR A (not both) and if they are not offered a spot on the AA or A team they return home to SMMHA. They can not tryout for another AA or A team if cut.
Note: Per OMHA Regulation 3.5 c) i) Movement to AA/A is permitted only for players U12 and above (11 years old as of Dec 31st of the current playing season)
If you require a NRP passport, please email your name, date of birth, the centre you are trying out. If you are unclear as to your closest A/AA centre, email your address to Mike Johnson - OMHA Rep
and we will advise you of your options.
If you make the AA/A team, it is YOUR responsibility to notify the registrar. The registration cheques will be destroyed. Failure notify the registrar may result in the cheques being cashed in September.